Gas Leak Closes Strip Mall
There were no injuries in the Thursday morning incident.
A gas leak forced Gwinnett fire officials to evacuate business owners and employees from a strip mall near Lake Lucerne early Tuesday morning.
Firefighters received a report of a gas leak about 9:20 a.m. at the 150 block of Villa Park Circle in Stone Mountain. The location runs along U.S. Highway 78 between Ross Road and Lake Lucerne Road, near both Lilburn and Snellville.
A gas line was inadvertently struck while workers from the Department of Water Resources installed a new water main, according to a press release.
"On arrival, crews found an active gas leak between the road way and several small commercial businesses," said Lt. Eric Eberly, of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. "Firefighters went to work securing the area and established a hot zone."
A total of four business were affected with three employees evacuated. There were no injuries to report.
Gwinnett County hazmat technicians monitored area for air quality while Atlanta Gas Light crews secured the six-inch gas main break. By late morning, emergency responders were allowing businesses to return to normal operations.