Gwinnett Included in Freezing Rain Advisory
Up to a tenth of an inch may fall here Friday morning.
The National Weather Service in Peachtree City has issued a Freezing Rain Advisory for virtually all of metro Atlanta, including Gwinnett County.
The advisory is in effect from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, with less than a tenth of an inch of ice expected in the area.
The nasty weather is expected arrive with a storm system that also has resulted in a Winter Storm Warning to be issued for North Georgia, with a quarter-inch of ice expected north and east of a line from Ellijay to Cumming to Gainesville.
Freezing rain is expected to hit Gwinnett between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. Friday.
Here's the weather service's statement, issued Thursday afternoon:
... FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY.
* LOCATIONS... PORTIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA... GENERALLY WEST AND SOUTH OF A LINE ELLIJAY TO CUMMING TO GAINESVILLE. PORTIONS OF CENTRAL GEORGIA... NORTH OF LINE FROM FRANKLIN TO GRIFFIN TO EATONTON TO CRAWFORDVILLE.
* HAZARD TYPES... FREEZING RAIN.
* ACCUMULATIONS... .LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE... BEFORE THE FREEZING RAIN TURNS TO ALL RAIN AND MELTS.
* TIMING... 6 AM TO 1PM EST FRIDAY.
* IMPACTS... ICE WILL CAUSE ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS TO BECOME SLIPPERY... MAKING TRAVEL DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.
* WINDS... EAST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES... AROUND 30 IN THE MORNING WARMING TO AROUND 40 BY AFTERNOON.
A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.