Keep Family, Home Safe This Holiday Season
SafetySmart Lilburn shares tips on decorating, shopping and home safety for this holiday season.
SafetySmart Lilburn wants you to keep your home and family safe this holiday season. Here are a few tips to help you.
Decorating Safety Tips:
- Use outdoor lights only outside your home.
- Examine light strings each year; discard worn ones.
- Connect no more than three strands together.
- Never use indoor extension cords for outside appliances.
- Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
Shopping Safety Tips:
- Find a bathroom in a well-trafficked area.
- Avoid darkened hallways and other backroom areas.
- Park under a street light so you can see your vehicle on all four sides after dark.
- Park close to entrances and/or exits.
- Walk to and from your vehicle with another person—ask the security guard to walk with you if no one else is around.
- Do not use your remote at a distance to locate your car: someone else may beat you to the door.
- Have your key ready when you approach your vehicle.
- Don’t leave purchases in plain view and unattended.
- Remove items that might appear valuable from the seat and floorboard of your car: someone may break in to get the toy money your child was playing with.
- Stow purchases in your trunk.
Home Safety Tips:
- Ask your neighbors to watch your house —pick up the mail, papers; bring in the trash cans; collect deliveries, etc.—if you will be away for several days
- Dispose of fireplace ashes in a metal container until cold. Place at least 30 feet from the house when putting outside.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Have smoke alarms on every level of the house, both inside and outside bedroom doors. (Sleep with bedroom doors closed).
- Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.
- Extinguish candles prior to going to bed or leaving the room.
- Use timers on lights inside your home to show change of room and natural flow of activity.
- If you have an alarm system, use it.
- Make sure fire places are not burning when you leave the room.