Good morning, Lilburn. It's Friday, July 15 and Harry Potter is in town. Here's your daily fix of somewhat useful information.
1. Old Town Happenings: You have to hand it to the small group of dedicated people who are working so hard to put Old Town Lilburn back on people’s minds. If you’ve been reading Lilburn Patch in the past several months, you already know that there’s something going on every weekend on Main Street — music, art, crafts, city-sponsored events and more. If you don’t know much about Old Town, it’s about time you did. This weekend, the weekly Friday (4 p.m.-8 p.m.) gives you best of local produce and other items. (It’s Night tonight; a chance to support an outstanding local school). Tonight and tomorrow, the is hosting a free writer’s conference with number of local writers and poets reading and speaking at the event. See Friday's details and Saturday's details .
2. Yes, Lilburn, It Did Rain: But we suppose you could tell that by the wet pavement this morning. As of midnight, the official rain gauge at Lilburn Patch HQ (located between the roses and the tomatoes) measured a half-inch of the wet stuff, which began falling well after sunset. Today, there’s a 50-percent chance of rain with a high of 86.
3. Dogs Love Reading, Too: One of the coolest ongoing events at the of the Gwinnett County Public Lilbrary is its program, in which kids 5 to 10 are invited to practice their reading skills by reading to Atlanta TheraPaws dogs. The dogs are trained and registered members of Therapy Dogs International, Inc. Your kids will absolutely love this program, which is Saturday at 10 a.m.
4. Golf Anyone? With the British Open going on this weekend — yes, we know it’s called The Open across the pond — we thought it appropriate to end the week with a little golf trivia. Atlanta’s own Bobby Jones, who won the British three times, won his first major on this date in 1923 when he won the U.S. Open at Inwood Country Club on Long Island, N.Y.
5. Jobs, Bargains and More: It’s really no secret, but if you don’t know about the Marketplace section on Lilburn Patch, here’s what you need to know: It’s free. Follow the link to the page, where you can look for a job, post a job opening, sell a like-new washer (one’s for sale now), or look for other bargains. Lilburn Patch is more than a news site. It’s a community connector.