.

Fire Report: Box Fan Likely Ignites Apartment

The apartment renter was not home at the time of the recent fire on Pine Street in Lilburn.

One man lost his home following a recent fire in Lilburn, however no was injured in what officials are calling an accidental incident.

Firefighters responded to a report of an apartment fire in the 200 block of Pine Street (near First Baptist Church of Lilburn) about 2 p.m. on Oct. 22, 2012.

When crews arrived, they found a small fire burning in the bedroom of one apartment unit on the ground floor of the building, according to report from Capt. Tommy Rutledge, of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services.

Emergency workers brought the fire under control by 2:18, and the fire was contained to the room of origin. Firefighters did, however, force entry into adjoining units to be sure the fire had not spread.

Rutledge said "the cause of the fire appears accidental and may have started from an older box fan being used in the bedroom."

The renter was not at home at the time of the fire, but was displaced from the damage. The Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance.

No injuries were reported. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »