Fireplace Ignites Blaze, Residents Unharmed

Officials believe a fireplace caused an early morning fire in the 1000 block of Park Forest Drive.

Officials believe a fireplace sparked a blaze that left a family -- two residents and two cats -- unharmed, according to a press statement.

Firefighters responded to the 1000 block of Park Forest Drive in Lilburn about 12:25 a.m. on Nov. 19.

Initially, one of the residents tried to douse the flames with a water hose, but he was unsuccessful, according to a press statement sent from Capt. Tommy Rutledge. Before firefighters arrived, the female resident ran back inside to save the two family cats.

The woman was only able to locate one before the smoke became too thick.

When crews arrived six minues later, they found flames showing from the back of a single-story wood frame house. Firefighters located a fire burning on the back wall in the living room area.

According to the press statement, officials said the "fire appears to have originated from the fireplace and spread to the exterior wall via the fire box and chimney chase.  The couple reportedly had a fire burning in the fireplace for warmth earlier in the evening."

The blaze caused moderate fire damage in the living room and smoke damage throughout the home.

"Firefighters were able to locate the second cat inside and bring it out safely," as stated in the press release. "Both cats were doing fine and were reunited with the owners."

There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire.

The occupants were temporarily displaced, but denied Red Cross assistance.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »