SafetySmart Lilburn wants you to keep your home and family safe this holiday season. Here are a few tips to help you.
Decorating Safety Tips:
- Use outdoor lights only outside your home.
- Examine light strings each year; discard worn ones.
- Connect no more than three strands together.
- Never use indoor extension cords for outside appliances.
- Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
Shopping Safety Tips:
- Find a bathroom in a well-trafficked area.
- Avoid darkened hallways and other backroom areas.
- Park under a street light so you can see your vehicle on all four sides after dark.
- Park close to entrances and/or exits.
- Walk to and from your vehicle with another person—ask the security guard to walk with you if no one else is around.
- Do not use your remote at a distance to locate your car: someone else may beat you to the door.
- Have your key ready when you approach your vehicle.
- Don’t leave purchases in plain view and unattended.
- Remove items that might appear valuable from the seat and floorboard of your car: someone may break in to get the toy money your child was playing with.
- Stow purchases in your trunk.
Home Safety Tips:
- Ask your neighbors to watch your house —pick up the mail, papers; bring in the trash cans; collect deliveries, etc.—if you will be away for several days
- Dispose of fireplace ashes in a metal container until cold. Place at least 30 feet from the house when putting outside.
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Have smoke alarms on every level of the house, both inside and outside bedroom doors. (Sleep with bedroom doors closed).
- Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.
- Extinguish candles prior to going to bed or leaving the room.
- Use timers on lights inside your home to show change of room and natural flow of activity.
- If you have an alarm system, use it.
- Make sure fire places are not burning when you leave the room.