A squirrel was the cause of power failure for about 5,000 Lilburn area residents Thursday morning.
The rodent got into Georgia Power's substation, causing an outage for about an hour, a spokeswoman for the utility said.
Berkmar High School was evacuated as a precautionary measure after school staff reported a faint smell of smoke from the ninth grade wing after the power was off, Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman Tommy Rutledge said.
"Firefighters checked the building and found no signs of heat, smoke or fire," Rutledge said in an email. "The power came back on as firefighters were there and they conducted a second check and still found nothing."
It's not clear whether the outage and the smoke smell were related, Rutledge said.
Berkmar Middle School was also temporarily without power.
(Editor's note: This corrects an earlier version that erroneously reported that Berkmar Middle School had been evacuated.)