Gwinnett County school officials recently named a Berkmar High student as the district's top technical education pupil of the year.
Brittney Reese received the honor of 2013 Technical Education Student of the Year during an awards banquet Wednesday at the district offices. She will get a $1,000 scholarship, as well.
There were three overall prize winners, including students from Brookwood High and Meadowcreek High schools.
To be chosen winners, students were nominated and then participated in selection process that included an essay and an interview with a panel of judges. The panel included business and industry leaders and a representative from Gwinnett Technical College.
The 2013 GCPS winners are:
- Brittney Reese of Berkmar High, recipient of a $1,000 scholarship
- Kuttler Smith of Brookwood High, first runner up, recipient of a $500 scholarship
- Franklin Gomez of Meadowcreek High, second runner up, recipient of a $250 scholarship
The annual recognition, which is a partnership between GCPS and Gwinnett Technical College, also saluted the top technical education student from each high school.
In the Lilburn area, those students are:
- Kareen Huynh for her work at Maxwell High School of Technology (Kareen attends Meadowcreek High and is enrolled in technical education courses at Maxwell High School of Technology)
- Alexzandra Jordan of Parkview High