Berkmar High School, located on Pleasant Hill Road at its intersection with Lawrenceville Highway (U.S. 29), is the oldest high school in Lilburn and one of the most culturally diverse high schools in the state.
A Title I Distinguished school, approximately 40 percent of the student body is Hispanic, around 40 percent African-American and 10 percent Asian.
While Berkmar did not meet Adequate Yearly Progress standards during the the 2009-10 school year, according to the Georgia Dept. of Education, it does have a strong reputation for participation in Advanced Placement classes. In 2009 (the last available statistic), 28 percent of the students took at least one AP class. The county average was 24 percent.
In 2008, the school was one of only a handful schools in the nation to win the Inspiration Award from the College Board for its AP success rate among minority students.
SAT scores have improved, from a 1385 average in 2008-09 to 1423 in 2009-10.
The school's Academic Decathlon Team is a six-time state champion and two-time runner-up.
Berkmar also has a tradition of athletic excellence, especially in basketball. The Patriots won back-to-back state boys basketball championships in 2000 and 2001. Every football season, Berkmar plays Parkview for the Green Flag, given to the winner of the "Battle of Lilburn."
Opened in 1966, Berkmar has seen many upgrades to its campus in recent years, including a renovated main entrance, a two-story addition and a new basketball gymnasium and football facilities.
Ken Johnson is the principal.
- Fax: 770-806-3715
- Hours: Mon-Fri, 7:05am-2:10pm
- Handicap Accessible: Parking spaces, ramps access to school, athletic facilities
- Founding Date: 1966
- Number of students: 3,341
- Public/Private: Public
- Graduation rate (%): 77.5
- Accreditation/licenses: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 16:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 205
- Grade levels: 9-12
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: Statistics, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Marketing, French, Spanish, Latin, English, U.S. History.
- Extracurricular activities available: Academic Decathlon, Chorus, Art, Dance Team, Literary Magazine, Drama, Newspaper,Yearbook, Student Council, Teacher Student Association, Quiz Bowl, Scholar's Bowl, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra.
- Student clubs: Book Club, BETA, DECA, Future Business Leaders, Family, Career and Community Leaders, French Club, Key Club, Latin Club, Math Club, Multi-Cultural Club, Sewing Club, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Student Volunteer Club, National Honor Society.
- Sports teams: Baseball, Basketball, Cheer, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Girls Softball, Swim and Dive, Tennis, Track, Girls Volleyball, Wrestling.