Parkview High School
Parkview High School is located on Cole Road just north of Five Forks Trickum Road. Its students have excelled in academic and athletic pursuits since 1976, when south Gwinnett County experienced a steep population increase.
A National School of Excellence winner, Parkview routinely beats local, state and national averages in standardized testing. Its 1588 average SAT score in 2010 was nearly 100 points better than the national average. Parkview was ranked in the top five percent among high schools nationwide by Newsweek Magazine, a distinction given to less than 30 Georgia schools. In 2009, the school's Economics Challenge and Science Bowl teams each won state titles. That same year, 12 Parkview students were National Merit finalists.
The Parkview Panthers have won 48 state championships in 10 sports, including 13 in soccer, 10 in swimming and cross country and four in football. Many former Panthers have gone on to star in college and pro sports, such as major league baseball player Jeff Francoeur, U.S. Soccer team member Josh Wolff and NFL players Matt and Jon Stinchcomb.
The Panthers have one of the state's fiercest sports rivalries with nearby Brookwood High in Snellville, which opened in 1981 to alleviate enrollment pressure on Parkview and subsequently drew many students from the Parkview district.
Parkview offers 118 clubs and other extra-curricular groups, including hiking, cricket and volunteering.
David Smith is the principal.
- Fax: 770-806-3797
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 2:10pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped parking spaces; ramp access to buildings and other facilities
- Founding Date: 1976
- Number of students: 2,715
- Public/Private: Public
- Graduation rate (%): 91.3
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 180
- Grade levels: 9-12
- Boarding: No
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Computer Science, English, Enviro-Science, European History, French, German, Government, Geography, Spanish, Latin, Economics, Music Theory, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. History, World History
- Extracurricular activities available: Yearbook, Student Council, Science Olympiad, Science National Honor Society, Science Fair, Science Bowl, Orchestra, Odyssey of the Mind, Newspaper, Mu Alpha Theta, Jr. ROTC, Literary Magazine, Debate, Chorus, Color Guard, Band, Academic Decathlon
- Student clubs: Beta Chess, Creative Writing, Winter Guard, Volunteer Parkview, Ultimate Frisbee, TSA, Spanish, Scrabble, SAVE/SADD, Readers Rally, Politics, Asian Cultural, National Honor Society, Medicine, Math Team, Latin, History, German, French, FCA, Drama, DECA
- Sports teams: Rifle Team, Golf, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Wrestling, Swimming, Track, Cross Country, Softball, Tennis, Cheer, Bowling Club, Hiking Club, Rugby Club, Cricket Club