Friday, March 29, 2013
A family of three has been displaced due to the fire Thursday evening.
- POLICE & FIRE
Friday, March 29
A fireplace is believed to be the cause of a Lilburn house fire Thursday that has displaced one adult, two children and their pet dogs. No injuries were reported. According to Gwinnett County Fire spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden, firefighters arrived on scene to the fire on the 300 block of Harmony Grove Road around 5:57 p.m. Heavy smoke was found throughout the home and garage. The flames were found around the fireplace on the first floor, and smoke was coming from behind the fire box where crew members opened the chimney. Firefighters made their way under the house into the crawl space to put out the fire. Fire crews pulled the plaster off the walls to search for any other hidden fire, according to the news release from Rhoden. Due to the …
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Investigators are asking anyone to come forward if they have any information on the fire, which took place on the 5200 block of Stafford Drive last Friday.
A fire that destroyed a home in Lilburn last Friday has been determined to be caused by an act of arson to cover a burglary, according to Gwinnett Fire. According to Gwinnett Fire spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden, investigators deemed the incident as arson after finding several points of fire origin in the house, which is located on the 5200 block of Stafford Drive. Additionally, the home's residents told fire investigators about specific items that were taken from the home. Just before the fire, three Hispanic or ethnic males were seen leaving the residence with some of its contents, Rhoden continued. Complete information collected by investigators led them to search for the perpetrators who fled the scene in a white four-door sedan. "I live …
Friday, February 1, 2013
The fire took place late Friday morning off Stafford Drive. Hazardous complications arose when the electrical service line to the home collapsed.
A Lilburn home has been deemed a total loss being engulfed in flames Friday, Feb. 1. No injuries were reported, and it's unknown if the house is vacant or occupied, according to Gwinnett County Fire spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden. Firefighters arrived at the single-family residence, located on the 5200 block of Stafford Drive near Dickens Road, at 11:32 a.m. after a caller told 911 that flames and smoke were coming from the roof and attic. Working from the outside due to the high heat and fire conditions, the fire crew battled the fire at the two-story home. The flames were officially out at 12:21 p.m. While they were putting out the flames, though, the electrical service line to the home collapsed and was arcing on the right side of the house…
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Two residents also escaped the fire unharmed.
A dog and his owners are safe now following a Sunday morning fire in Lilburn. Firefighters responded to the 700 block Inland Way at approximately 8:18 a.m. When they arrived, heavy black smoke and flames were showing through the roof of a two-story home. Two adults were home asleep at the time of the fire, and a working smoke alarm alerted them to the fire. Officials said they escaped unharmed and were safely outside when the fire department arrived. After making entry into the home, firefighters conducted a search and were able to successfully rescue a dog from inside the burning home. Intense heat and a partially collapsed roof forced fire crews to back out moments later. Firefighters then flowed water from multiple hoses and an aerial …
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
An overnight fire on Five Forks Trickum Road in Lilburn leaves one family displaced.
Nine family members are displaced following an early morning fire in Lilburn that caused extensive damage to their home, according to officials. Although the family, including five children, could not return to their home in the 4400 block of Five Forks Trickum Road, there were no injuries reported in the blaze. Everyone escaped unharmed, according to a press release from Gwinnett County Fire Department and Emergency Services. Firefighters arrived to the home at approximately 1:21 a.m. on Dec. 5, and they were met with a smoke haze and immediately entered to put the fire out. A "resident told fire officials that she does not know how the fire started but said that it may have started by a faulty phone charger," said Lt. Colin Rhoden, in …
Monday, December 3, 2012
Gwinnett County Medical Examiner's Office has released the cause of death and identity of man who died during a house fire on Edith Lane in Lilburn.
Officials have determined the cause of death and the identity of man who died in an overnight fire in Lilburn. The man is identified as John Hamilton, 50, of, Lilburn, according to Ted Bailey, an investigator with the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner's Office. The cause of death has been determined as smoke and soot inhalation, Bailey said. The man died in an early morning blaze on Dec. 3 in the 200 block of Edith Lane. Bailey said the victim's family owned the home and also one nearby, as well. Fire investigators have yet to release a cause of the fire. See also:
The Gwinnett County Medical Examiner's Office will release the name after a positive identification has been made.
Updated 2 p.m., Dec. 3: The victim in the fire has been identified as John Hamilton, 50, of Lilburn. ----------- Fire investigators are still trying to determined what sparked a deadly fire overnight on Edith Lane in Lilburn. But, fire officials say "there are no signs of foul play at this point in the investigation," as stated in a press release from Gwinnett County Fire and Department Services. Gwinnett County fire investigators and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) are both working on the case. The joint investigation is common in fatal fires. The cause and the origin of the fire are still being determined. "The blaze is currently listed as undetermined under active investigation by the fire department," Capt…
The victim, believed to be male, was found in a corner room of the home, which was completely destroyed.
Updated 2 p.m., Dec. 3: The victim in the fire has been identified as John Hamilton, 50, of Lilburn. -------- Emergency crews discovered the body of a person believed to be male at the scene of an overnight house fire on Edith Lane in Lilburn. When firefighters just after midnight on Dec. 3, the single-story home in the 200 block of Edith Lane was engulfed in flames. Neighbors and police reported that someone might still be inside, according to a press release from Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services, Firefighters tried, but were unable to immediately get inside the home because of a partially collapsed roof and the fire's intensity. Once inside, firefighters found the victim, believed to be an adult male, in a corner…
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
SafetySmart Lilburn tackles the issue of fireplace safety, as at least two recent home fires in Lilburn were caused this way.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
- Kathy Rice
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Who doesn’t love to sit in front of a nice wood fire in their fireplace on a cold day? It is getting colder outside so keep your home safe. There are a few simple things you can do to prevent tragedies. Have a wonderful winter and stay warm, safely. Don’t miss any Lilburn news. Subscribe to Lilburn-Mountain Park Patch’s free newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Firefighters were able to prevent a Wednesday night fire from destroying the whole house.
Firefighters called to a house on Pineridge Drive in Lilburn Wednesday night found a blaze coming up from the half-basement of the woodframe house. They were able to extinquish the fire before it consumed the structure. No one was at home when the fire started, and a neighbor alerted the fire department, Gwinnett Fire Department Spokesman Tommy Rutledge said in an email. No injuries were reported. The occupants of the house returned home as the firefighters were working. The fire caused damage to the floor of the main level and to wooden supports. The interior of the basement was moderately damaged, Rutledge said. The cause of the blaze is under investigation.