Monday, November 19, 2012
Officials believe a fireplace caused an early morning fire in the 1000 block of Park Forest Drive.
Officials believe a fireplace sparked a blaze that left a family -- two residents and two cats -- unharmed, according to a press statement. Firefighters responded to the 1000 block of Park Forest Drive in Lilburn about 12:25 a.m. on Nov. 19. Initially, one of the residents tried to douse the flames with a water hose, but he was unsuccessful, according to a press statement sent from Capt. Tommy Rutledge. Before firefighters arrived, the female resident ran back inside to save the two family cats. The woman was only able to locate one before the smoke became too thick. When crews arrived six minues later, they found flames showing from the back of a single-story wood frame house. Firefighters located a fire burning on the back wall in the …
Monday, November 12, 2012
It is believed that a chimney caused the fire on Sunset Crest Trail.
A house fire Sunday afternoon displaced a family of six -- two adults and four children, but no one sustained injuries, according to Gwinnett County offiials. At approximately 2:31 p.m., emergency workers were dispatched to the scene of the house fire in the 4300 block of Sunset Crest Trail. The caller, who also was a resident, said the fire began in the chimney, according to a press release from Lt. Colin Rhoden, of the Gwinnett County fire department. Arriving five minutes later, crews found heavy smoke and fire showing throughout the attic area. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the second floor and attic areas, the release stated. Because of the two-story home's construction, including several gables, there were a number …
Saturday, October 27, 2012
The apartment renter was not home at the time of the recent fire on Pine Street in Lilburn.
One man lost his home following a recent fire in Lilburn, however no was injured in what officials are calling an accidental incident. Firefighters responded to a report of an apartment fire in the 200 block of Pine Street (near First Baptist Church of Lilburn) about 2 p.m. on Oct. 22, 2012. When crews arrived, they found a small fire burning in the bedroom of one apartment unit on the ground floor of the building, according to report from Capt. Tommy Rutledge, of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. Emergency workers brought the fire under control by 2:18, and the fire was contained to the room of origin. Firefighters did, however, force entry into adjoining units to be sure the fire had not spread. Rutledge said "the cause of the…
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
SafetySmart Lilburn talks about fire safety this month. Did you know that you cannot smell smoke -- or anything -- when you are asleep?
Capt. Tommy Rutledge of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services spoke to a group of neighborhood leaders in Lilburn a couple weeks ago. The information he shared can save lives many times over: Every year more than 4000 people die, including hundreds of children, and 20,000 people are injured in fires, according to the United States Fire Administration. Every person will experience a serious fire at some time in their life. It is important for every family to conduct fire drills at least twice yearly and to have equipment, such as escape ladders available for second story bedrooms. Designate a meeting place outside the house to rejoin the family. Once out of the burning building, do not return to retrieve anything. Notify fire …
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Get an extra hour of sleep tonight, and don't forget about changing the batteries in your smoke alarm, the Gwinnett Fire Department says.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Sunday, so get an extra hour of shuteye by setting your clocks back by one hour before going to bed tonight. Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services suggest that you change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, too. Almost 3,000 people die every year in house fires, and in 2,000 of the deaths, there was no smoke alarm in the home or it wasn't working. “Having an operational smoke alarm in your home should be your number one priority when it comes to protecting your family from an unforeseen tragedy," said Assistant Fire Chief of Operations David Dusik. "Making sure the smoke alarm has a fully charged battery is the best way to insure that everyone has a fighting chance to make it …
Monday, October 3, 2011
The blaze did not cause any disruptions to the school day, according to fire department officials.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, October 3, 2011
Firefighters were dipatched to the scene of a fire in the woods between Meadowcreek High School and Vulcan rock quarry today at 11:10 a.m. Emergency crews remained at the scene until 3:30 p.m., when remaining hot spots were completely wet down, according to a Gwinnett Fire release. Firefighters found the blaze behind the high school, at 4455 Steve Reynolds Blvd in an unincorporated area of Norcross, on a large hill that is approximately 150 feet tall. "Firefighters were challenged by the difficult terrain and steady winds," wrote Cpt. Tommy Rutledge of Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services in a released statement. The students were not threatened by the fire, according to the release. There were no interruptions or evacuations at the …